Excited about finding moissanite for your rings rather than buying expensive diamonds? Well, the feeling is mutual for everyone. Many people are in love with moissanite rings due to their sustainability, quality, and affordability. However, you can only get to enjoy these benefits if you find the true moissanite stone. Since moissanite is mainly lab-grown, you need the eye of an expert to get it right.
One of the myths that need to be demystified is that of referring moissanite to as a diamond. As you prepare to buy moissanite rings. you should know that it is not the same as a diamond. These two gemstones are different. Diamonds will forever be diamonds. Therefore, moissanite is only a diamond alternative owing to its almost-similar qualities to those of diamonds.
Everything about moissanite Rings
If you are considering buying moissanite rings, you have made a good choice. This is especially if you are looking for a quality and affordable gem. If you are not careful, you would think moissanite is diamond but we have already seen that these two are different. So, what else is there to learn about this precious gemstone?
Moissanite rings have become very common and that is due to some obvious reasons. Here is what you should know about this precious gem in consideration for buying a ring –
- Moissanite Has a better Sparkle than diamond. If you have missed out on a diamond, you should be pleased to learn that moissanite will even give you better fire and brilliance due to its high refractive index.
- Diamond-like Hardness and durability. Buy moissanite because it will give you almost the same hardness as that of a diamond. On the Mohs scale of hardness, moissanite comes close to a diamond with a score of 9.25 against a diamond’s 10.
- Moissanite is Silicon Carbide. The reason why moissanite is different from diamond is primarily due to its different chemical composition. After lab tests, researchers found out that moissanite was Silicon Carbide. On the contrary, diamonds are mainly carbon. The chemical makeup in moissanite makes it a good repellant of oil and dirt, unlike a diamond. Therefore, moissanite will remain clean for a long and is as well easy to clean.
- Ethical Considerations. Mining is detrimental to our environment and causes conflict as seen with the sourcing of diamonds. However, moissanite is lab-grown hence an environment-friendly stone to consider for your ring. Therefore, you will be supporting a good cause by buying moissanite.
- Availability in different sizes and shapes. Moissanite gives you many options in terms of shapes and sizes. Since it is lab-grown, it can be shaped and sized in different ways. This gives you options to get custom rings. This is unlike diamond, which is limited to the shape and size grown by the earth. Due to this quality, moissanite has more flexibility.
Moissanite Grades available in the Market
Even with the value that comes with moissanite, you should know that it is available in different grades. As you go out to buy moissanite rings, you should know that there are three basic moissanite Grades as highlighted below:
- Yellowish-Green moissanite. This was the initial moissanite stone made in the lab. It still exists but it will cost much less than other types of moissanite stones. This is what is available in the market as “classic” moissanite.
- Forever One colorless grade. This grade is comparable to an E-color diamond. It is the best moissanite grade you will find in the market.
- Forever One Near Colorless Grade. This grade is more like an H-color diamond.
Of these three grades, it is important to note that forever one near colorless and forever one colorless stone are the most beautiful ones for use in your rings.
Things to Know Before Buying Moissanite Rings
Moissanite is a proven gemstone for making quality jewelry. For that reason, there are important things to know about why you should buy moissanite jewelry. Before making the decision, take note of the following:
1. The Resale Value of Moissanite
Gemstones cost a fortune. For that reason, it is important to look at their resale value should the need to sell it arises in the future. The good thing is that forever one moissanite has a good resale value. As the demand for moissanite continues to grow, more and more people will be looking to buy it hence the gem will retain its value all through. For that reason, it is the right decision to buy moissanite.
2. Buy moissanite for what it is
Do not buy moissanite with the intent of passing it off as a diamond. It does not mean that moissanite is of lesser value but it is good to know that it is not a diamond. However, it has superior and unique qualities that make it special for use in making rings. Therefore, don’t buy moissanite and wish that it was a diamond.
3. Get a fraction of a carat instead of buying a full carat
You cannot easily differentiate one-carat moissanite from a 0.87-carat. However, there is a significant price difference. Therefore, you will save a lot by buying 0.87-carat moissanite instead of a one-carat.
4. Choose an affordable metal for your ring
Different metals come at different prices. The most valuable metal for your moissanite ring is Rhodium, Platinum, Gold, Palladium, and silver, in that order. Therefore, the choice of metal can significantly impact the overall cost of your ring.
Many people love moissanite for its quality and affordability. Therefore, it is a great alternative to buying expensive gems. If you cannot afford a diamond, don’t break your bank accounts because moissanite is still a great gem giving you diamond-like properties.
All you need to do to buy moissanite rings is to understand these important tips as a guide to purchasing your ring. They will help you differentiate moissanite from other special gems like a diamond. Therefore, you will appreciate buying moissanite for what it is as a perfect choice for your ring.